Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ya, you could totally have a dance party on that.


Naval Base, Navel Oranges, Fuzzy Navel. Out of the almost barren desert of Death Valley came Joshua trees galore. I doubt as many or as large as Joshua Tree National Park to the south, but I'll not know for sure unless I go there too
joshua
Water in the desert. A lake that must get a lot of use. The lake bed was far below where it looks like it's supposed to be.
lake
The river to Bakersfield was raging. The rocks rapids were amazing and the fall foliage was glistening.
riverrapids
After the curvy roads out of the canyon, the land got barren. Short grass only...except for the local crop. Oranges.
oranges
Man were they green. There were so many beehives around to pollinate the fruit.
oil
There was a weird haze on the horizon. After the oranges there a lot of oil drills.
palms
The roadside was full of palms and whatever crops.
dirt
I thought the haze was from the soil being upturned for planting. This being that this area has more than one growing season.
haze
I knew there were mountains on the horizon, but you could not tell at all.
sierranevada
I finally got to Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks. I didn't know that the parks were adjoining.
sunny trees
WOW. Period.
hazey sun
A sign about the park said that the haze was just pollution. The San Joaquin Valley below had the worst haze in the summer, winter being the clearest. Can you see the mountains? I couldn't. Sad.
pollution valley
Granted there is supposed to be some haze because of moisture rising, but geez.
seqouias light
Oh, the Seouias. These trees are amazing. Pictures do not show how spectacular the scale is. I mean they are only 30-40 feet across.
metree
Only.
sequoias
Fire scars ripped gashes in the trees, but two foot bark protects the living tissue.
base
Some trees ay be hollow from being fire damaged then healed over.
moretents
There were the tent-like trees branch things again.
sunsetseqouia
I got to the park late because of the long drive around the mountains so I had to get away. But tomorrow was new light.
sunsetpines
The haze over the mountains is eerily beautiful. I wonder the effects on the landscape it has. And no wonder I saw so many smog check stations across southern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment