Saturday, December 12, 2009

Smells like: Teen spirit and Twilight.


The Christmas lights all over the northwest shimmer in the frosty cold every night. Sleeping a car door away from this frosty cold is no plus to my adventure.
lights
I woke to everything being shrouded in white. Not snow like I would expect during the winter in the Pacific Northwest, but frost. It stays throughout most of the day until the sunlight finally hits it for hours and then it steams off the foliage and ground.
frosty
A patchwork of forest covered the ground of the Olympic peninsula. This area is remote, and the interior is off limits to logging due to the Olympic National Park. The cities that do lie here rely on logging.
patched
The patchwork effect seen here went away to give a more devastated look to the landscape.
roadlogged
Sun bleached stumps littered the landscape.
nuclear
I know cooling towers are synonymous with nuclear energy but I'm ot sure if this area is coal or nuclear. The towers were an odd sight to see in the forest.
treerows
A really thick line of trees presented itself as natural, but wow were these trees planted close together. If you want tall thin wood that's the way to get it.
clearcut
Freshly clear cut areas look completely dead. No saplings anywhere. The peninsula ddin't start off very well in hopes of natural scenery. Yet.
aberdeen
Aberdeen, Washington was the birthplace of Kurt Cobain. It's s small port and logging town with cute ocean warn houses. The weather of course adds to the high suicide rate of Seattle, and maybe the houses weren't painted bright colors back then.
washtrees
The tree covered mountains rolled in and out of view. The deciduous trees started to loose ground from here.
waterlogs
The inlets were small and full of what looked like piers for navigation.
loggedbrush
The piles of limbs were dozens of feet high.
clearedtop
Patches of logged areas were amazing and gross at the same time.
cleared
Most areas were partitioned off leaving areas with mature trees to revitalize areas. Some hills were completely clear cut in every direction.
younggreen
Once a few years pass these areas are rich with green. Every tree being the same size makes a carpet of greenery.
blackroad
This area relies heavily on logging and areas are continuously harvested for their timber. Different areas were logged at different times and all have similar ages of trees. The heights created an orchestra of scenery.
loggedpatch
Mountains half cleared create an alien looking landscape.
patchwork
Closer to Olympic National Park the logging lets up. Most National Parks are surrounded by a rim of national forest which is usually less intensively logged on account of conservation. Land owned by companies seems ravaged.
cloudline
My whole trip has been mostly free of precipitation. The pacific Northwest is supposed to be rainy. I am in a rainforest for heavens sake. A line of foreboding clouds made me think that is was going to be wet soon.
mwclouds
Once this cloud was overhead is set an eerie light on everything. All was completely evenly lit with no shadows.
pmwlake
the mountains looked as if they are flocked with green fuzz.
mwlake
The air had the most brilliant hues of blue and green.
treeocean
It was very difficult getting photos of the rainforest as it is extremely dark within the tall trees. When I saw light through the trees I knew the ocean was close, that and I'm good with maps.
driftogs
Oh the beaches of the west coast. So cold, so free of people. Tremendous amounts of logs were littering the beaches.
beachstream
A stream cut through the beach towards the ocean. Smooth rocks that people buy for show in Indiana were everywhere.
pmw
The dark gray sand and gray sky lat out a harmonious color chord.
olympicsun
This sunset was misleading, it was not very close to dark, but the clouds hastened the light.
nwbeah
The sea looked as if it were on fire.
olympicbeach
The beach is very evenly pitched and goes on for a while to the forest. Slow but steady back and forth waves and receding water made the sand glassy. I had gotten off to a late start and was hoping to not have lost so much daylight so fast. I passed through a town called Forks, seein that the cold was coming in, I stopped.
twilight
Photobucket
I'm in Forks, Washington right? What's with all the Twilight named stuff? OH. I started to get the hint.
dinerentry
I walked to a diner downtown and asked the waitress a question. I saw the movie and it was alright, and I know it took place in the Pacific Northwest.
diner
A lot of animal heads told me that I was definitely not in the big city. Well unless I was in Cabela's.
totem
The waitress told me what was up with all the Twilight stuff. The book was based here of course. My first totem pols that I have seen not in a museum was nice. At least it wasn't hoakey.
forksmotel
If I had looked at what was above the wireless internet I would have known the Twilight information sooner. So the PMW has a lot of culture, even though that one coffee place everyone goes to to is local here, I won't frequent it.

1 comment:

  1. if you ever go to aberdeen again you should some how look me up i was born and raised here and could show u amazing photo spots unlike the shots u took here.....and btw the skinny trees weren't lined up that way to make them all tall and skinny they r that way no matter what they are paper trees. and that was a paper tree farm. and most of the logs all piled hi were from blow downs from a few storms we had.

    ReplyDelete