Friday, December 25, 2009

Drowning Duck

I am spending my days sleeping as much as I can and watching movies. There are plenty of suburbs on the way to Yosemite so I am exploring them all.

The highways here are crazy busy even in the middle of the day. There is so much green along the roadsides and drainage ditches.

The Coast Ranges gradually gave way to the Sacramento Valley.

Townhomes, or whatever they are called, snaked throughout the land and up into the mountains. Seeing single family homes snake everywhere is very familiar to me, but the density of these homes was very different.

December in California. Some plants know what's up and take a break for winter, but a lot of plants are just in high gear for the winter.

California's landscape is beautiful everywhere I go. And it mad even more amazing because so very much of it is highly developed and polluted. The mountains are brimming with wind turbines and dirty air.

The turbines were so beautiful in the sunset.

As it was Christmas Eve I was nearing the end of the cities before I got into the Sierra Nevada's and onto Yosemite. I found one of the onlt things to do in the city on Christmas (a movie theater) and found a nice quiet place to sleep. As this street was quiet and suburban, the homeowner noticed me there that night. I was up after noon greeted by the man of the house bringing me warm sandwich and some questions. He had checked my car out before I woke and though it might have been someone from the insurance company trying to get him off workman's compensation because of an injury he had. He was really nice and I felt bad freaking him out all night.

The area the movie theater is in was a mall being built. It had a Cabella's with outdoor landscaping and what I can't even call ironic set of deer.

The theater had a pond that attracted wildlife that had ducks. There were fountains and what just looked like pumps in the middle. I watched a duck head dive around one of these pumps. It was drowning.

The light made rainbows on the bottom of the clear pond water.

This duck was getting rained on by the fountain.

The ducks were fake. I guess they were there to attract real ducks. The pond is naturalizing and I would hope they keep it that way.

I'm proud of my 5,000 miles of dirt. THESE COLORS DON'T FADE! I'm at the point that I'm not sure if other people can see my brake lights, but they can hear my brakes so we're even. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and time with their families. What I had to give up in family I tried to make up for in great weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment