Sunday, December 13, 2009

Black guys can't give the thumbs up in Washington.


Waking up in Forks, Washington was a snowy delight. No vampires or werewolves presented themselves the entire time I was there though.

This snow was super sticky. Apparently the drivers aren't used to driving in the snow and were very timid. I waved my license plate in their faces.

The gray sky and covered pines dealt an unsaturated beauty to the landscape.

Oh the beauty of the weather.

The eerie layering of the snow was so calm.

Look at this frosty, sticky, white mess.

Clouds rose above the trees and wrapped around the mountains.

The dusting of snow enveloped every nook and cranny.

The clear cutting seen a day ago was still very active.

It just looked awesome. I am so glad that I was held up overnight and finally got to see precipitation in the northwest.

It all looked beautifully fake.

The mountains faded so well into the sky.

The snowflakes were as large as quarters and melted on contact with the road and my car.

As I traveled the sky began to open and let the light through. Crescent Lake was the place where I had stayed long enough to see the light show through.

This water was the most amazing magician. The colors changed so drastically wherever I looked.

If I caught the position just right, the blue was so intense.

Black rock beaches were stirred by the constant small waves.

The sky opened up and let all the light shine through.

Watching the cliffs come into focus was inspiring.

Olympic National Park covers the entire interior of the peninsula and is not open for the winter. Exploring the roads off of the highway led to discoveries. The Elwah River was brilliantly colored in a seafoam greenish blue.

The black stones were slick to cross but the smaller stream over to the river was worth it.

The color was brilliant.

The sky was letting loose again. A dark cover came over the area around 2 and kept on coming.

The frost in places that had not gotten any snow were still cold as ice.

The sun came off and on, showing the mountains in the background.

The inlets to Puget Sound were calm and pretty. There was little elevation change around the inlets and the water was always near the level of the roads.

Ice covered the waters surface and was broken up by the movement of the waves.

The light caught the trees and areas of bare soil on the mountains.

The snow started coming again and the Freeway was covered.

Dressed as a ninja the whole day, I had a blast driving on the snow covered freeway going 70mph. I zoomed passed everyone with ease. Passing 4x4's and Hummers was fun to watch. The Sunfire handled pretty well and only let up when changing lanes, the traction control didn't like that at all.

I had intended to check out Mt. Rainier either today or tomorrow, but the overcast conditions made it impossible to see. I was heading to the middle of nowhere and just looked for anyplace that had people. A ski lodge looked promising, but they were all uppity and didn't have amenities. I took a turn to try and get back to the highway to move on to a more acceptable locale.

Sunfire meet snowbank. Damn it. My brakes locked up in a small turn and I lodged my front end on a snow bank, unable to move. So for an hour I dug my front end out with a snowscraper. If some ski dues with the coolest accents didn't give me a push I would shit out of luck.

The highway out of the ski lodge and snowbank area was slow. When I was zooming out of Seattle going 70mph in the snow the there were enough cars to keep the lanes noticeable, but out here the lanes were nowhere and everywhere. By the way, you're not allowed to hitchhike in Washington, signs with black hands with their thumb sticking out and crossed in red made Washington feel like they didn't like people showing that everything would be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment