Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Snow has a high libido. Water has a low libido. Or albedo.

Idaho was beautiful and snowy. I ended up in Kellogg, Idaho and the name interested me. It had nothing to do with cereal, was home of the largest Dodge dealership in the WORLD, and had the usual small town amenities. The atmosphere was murky and clouds wrapped around the trees.

So by now you should know that my car has put forth great effort to get this far. I woke up early, got out early and was ready to get far. Well my car had other plans. She wanted to see the doctor.

I thought the battery was low, it wasn't. It just did not want to turn over. I fiddled with a charger, and walked to a mechanic (that doesn't do tune ups), and ended up calling a tow truck to get her to a shop. This was a new problem so I played around under the dash with wire nuts since it has worked better before when I tightened them. She started right up. Fickle car. The tow truck operator was pissed that it started. I got the hell out of dodge in case it crapped out on me I would be in a larger town.

The sleet that his my windows just made it easier to see. I found out why my windows were constantly dirty: the plows spread a salt water mixture on the roads instead of just salt.

Almost everyone of the shots are clouded in a salty mist.

The peaks of Idaho went straight up at time from the road covered in pine.

The road nearing the Montana border started to get full of snow and got treacherous.

The sky, road, and windshield blended in to one another.

When the weight of the snow were too much for smaller trees they bent in Dr. Seuss like ways.

The green was the only contrast at most times.

The thick trees started to loose their grip on the land and made way for portions of grasses.

Entering Montana, the valley opened up and the mountains got further in distance.

Cattle braved the cold as they raked through the layer of snow to eat grass.

The plains got ahold of the mountain sides.

Narrower valleys held the trees.

When areas were too steep to farm and graze the pines were thick and snow covered.

Areas that had cattle had fewer trees, probably from being eaten and trampled.

The slopes with few or no trees were strange right next to a tree filled mountain.

I entered the Sapphire Mountain Range. Thinking nothing of the name since there was a Garnet Range, and old mines were all over I was surprised at what I encountered.

The greenery of the mountain sides were just as indigo and sapphire as they could be.

As they got closer they revealed more and more color changing to a dark olive.

The range was aptly named.

Grasslands with mountain backdrops provided great color to the land.

The clearer air let light shine and create even more color through shadows.

Almost black trees came after the Sapphire Range.

you've heard of Butte, Montana right? Do you know why you do? I wondered why I did. It was a hill and no higher than 4 story buildings.

Old rigs were decorated with lights. Not sure if they are working now or not. Copper and a nice red light district is apparently why we know about it. Well, that and Evel Knievel.

I did not want to create art so I could be external and think about what I was seeing and doing and not to think back. The worries I have day to day eclipse what has happened and I can more easily cope with my troubles that I have run away from. Seeing how other people live in areas that are very similar, yet very different from, where I am from give me sight. Where I will end up will surprise me, and I embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment