Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Boring, ol Reagan.


The middle of Oregon where the highway lies is similar to Indiana it seemed. Except for mountains in your view, the landscape was farmland and businesses.
grasscapitol
This area is the "grass seed capitol of the world". Ha, they grow grass.
grass
A lot of grass. Cows sometimes showed up, but mostly grassy patches.
sheepgrass
I guess since sheep and cows eat grass it makes sense.
yellowlogtruck
Loggers making their way towards Portland.
wineinoregon
Another wine country. This time in central Oregon. Did not know they made wine pretty much everywhere.
hoddaway
Mount Hood snuck its way up. It looked huge and tiny at the same time. You could see it alone above everything else, but it made it look small. But it is a hundred miles away almost. It's a pretty tall volcano.
mthoodroad
Instead of rushing through Portland I decided to investigate this volcano. The views from the roadside were glorious.
mthoodtrees
There is so much snow up there, and skiiers too. The trails through the national forest were few and far between for just hikers in the winter. If I had damn skiis it would be great.
hoodtreed
Being near the tree line made it feel like I wasn't so high. This trip has been terrible on my ears, they are always popping.
mounthood
Well if I had skiis I'd be yelling at my broken leg somewhere. The slopes were ripe for skiing.
rapids
I hate not getting out of the car to view areas. So the first vista I could pull over on I did. Most of the pullouts were snowed over.
rockcreek
This rocky creekbed was a wonder. The light was so blue.
creek
i was unsure of what was rock or water, but I managed. The flow was great, iced over and then beaten back through with water.
creekme
The blue light was over everything including me and trees.
tinycones
Look at these tiny cones. They were on a deciduous tree but looked like really tiny pine cones.
sthelens
Swingin back around to Portland I caught many glimpses of Mt. St. Helens. From behind it doesn't have the familiar blown out side.
mt hood
It's so great being able to see both humongous volcanoes in the same area.
hood island
The river between Washington and Oregon was great. It is so wide and the sunset beamed off the walls of the river quite nicely. This island in the middle has a home on it. It'd be a pain to deal with but wouldn't it be nice.
purple sunset
The river winded around and caught the sun making the mountains purple. This purple was great. It's sad how purple gets the shaft when it comes to how much there is to see in both nature and the human world. Crayons don't even represent it well.
portland
Back to Portland. I went downtown and I am wondering what makes Portland so wierd. ya they have trollies and stuff, but so do a lot of the western cities. And they prided themselves on not wanting the interstate, but I got around fine on just that. Tomorrow I'll check out the museums and hopefully meet an acquaintance. So far meeting up with people without a cellphone is quite difficult.

1 comment:

  1. Some of the best white wine in the world is made in Oregon and Washington. Get a bottle or two and bring it back to Indiana.

    ReplyDelete