Sunday, December 6, 2009

Never touch, molest, or otherwise interfere with mammals on beaches.


The emerald green, teal, peacock, and cyan of the pacific northwest is brilliant.
Photobucket
Eureka! is at sea level. Only a little bay separates the city from the immense ocean.
sealevel
Coves of beaches and freshwater lagoons wrap around redwood forested mountains. It has not rained yet, I was expecting rain.
nearoregon
The peaks hid areas from the daylight and frost was covering the ground. When the sun dif end up hitting the frosted grass and trees it sizzled and created a fog.
frost
It looked like there was snow cover. Where there was full sun it was warm, and the shadows were bitterly cold. Marshes, meadows and woods weaved in and out of the scenery.
marshtrees
So Redwood National Park is rather a series of parks that happen to be a National Park. Like Death Valley there wasn't a real entry point, and trails were hard to find since there wasn't a map. I first entered what was called Elk Meadow. I got sad that I didn't see any elk at first.
twoelkfrost
Uh, apparently they did know this meadow for them so they were in someones yard. At first I thought they were fenced in because there was a gate beside them. The gate was just blocking a driveway, and the elk were just chillin by the roadside.
elk frost
A whole herd was there. The whole family eating lunch together.
lone trees
The highway ran through the park and redwoods were all around.
ocean
The sea was gorgeous. Waves crashing, wind blowing, whales...hidden somewhere, but they were there. To think that there is soooo incredibly much area covered in water.
sunwater
The mid day sun gleamed over the surface like diamonds.
klamath
The Klamath River inlet battled the incoming waves.
2elk
These two bulls I saw after the herd were still there after I had drove back. A dog was outside just staring at them intently. He didn't bark but it made me think of how Dinosaur would freak out and bark at cows, horses, or anything she thought was another animal she didn't know of, including fake owls. I miss my girls, Geode don't be afraid to show Dino you mean business.
elk herd
So more elk were showing off in front of some cabins. Wow, how I would love to wake to these guys every morning.
house elk
This is not my beautiful house, this is not my beautiful wife, how did I get here?
big elk
Ok, so not as large as a moose but way bigger than a deer. If you met this guy in the middle of the road both of your days would be made a lot worse. Awe man would I like to ride one with a big staff made out of crystals wearing a headdress made of peacock feathers. I'd paint him florescent orange and pink, leaving his head natural, but gold leafing his antlers. But that's just me.
redwood
I finally got to walk a trail. The grove of redwoods are unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, the Sequoias are amazing, but I like the Redwoods better. These trees are have similar proportion that I am used to and just look freakin huge, the sequoias have some funky proportions. And these guys don't have to be thousands of years old to be large.
bigtrees
Oh they look just normal sized...but hundreds of feet over everything else.
mossy
Everything had some green on it.
masked
Boy was it chilly with the weather for one, and in the shade of the trees.
ferns
Dinosaur habitat anyone? Scenes like this were everywhere, but with a Tyrannosaurus Rex coming through.
charred
It was dark inside this tree, but the charred interior was being invaded by green moss and looked great.
big log
The logs are massive. The dead red leaves littered the otherwise greenness of the area.
Photobucket
The visitors center I finally found, and exiting I found a sly guy. He saw me before I saw him, and he wanted no part of it.
ca beach
It was after four o'clock so the sun was setting......4. The beaches waves looked inviting. Surfers with their gear on tried their luck at the surf. I stood just watching the waves come in and stepping back when the waves came near my boots.
beach sun
The mist off the ocean was eerie and great.
wavebreak
Watching the waves come in and seep into the black sand was thrilling.
foamy
I stood away from the furthest waves and I was alright, until a wave came in from the damn side and surrounded me. Boots wet.
sun waves
The sun rays over the black sand and crashing waves was peaceful. I have a lot on my mind and it helped put me at ease for a bit.
sunrays
The clouds covered the sun and let the light struggle through. My day was nearing an end. I hope you all are enjoying this scenery for yourselves. I hope you never have the same reason to leave such as mine, but I hope very much that you can enjoy what this magnificent planet has to offer us in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment