Thursday, November 26, 2009

Ninety miles per hour downhill with a Rifle in Leadville.


First thing's first, I usually go in chronological order yet far, but what happened just before I got to where I am now something horribly scary and amazing happened. On Interstate 70, going the speed limit of 75mph, I suddenly saw a dead deer in the left lane. Immediately after in the shoulder was the broken glass, bumper, and rest of the car that had hit this deer. After being amazed that I did not see the deer until my headlights were right up on its carcass, I looked back in my rear view mirror to see the car behind me. This car, was in the left lane, the lane that the deer was in the middle of. This car RAMPED the dead deer. I was so scared that it could have been me.
taxis
So on a lighter note, Denver has good public transit compared to Indy. Taxis, hybrid taxis, busses, rail, bike lanes, the whole deal.
mountainss
It was still flat after getting out of Denver for a few miles.
mountainscape
But the scenery out was amazing, and didn't disappoint thereafter.
Photobucket
peaks
peak
The Rocky peaks, snow caps and treeline were genuinely beautiful to lay eyes on.
mountain and trees
Rocky Mountain National Park was just that, the Rocky Mountains. Other mountain ranges were quite different. A definite treeline, with the greenest pines and spruces, and a nice layer of snow.
mountain
The mountains just kept appearing.
tunnels
The first tunnel I went through was pretty.
mine
Towns were all along the interstate. I guess most of them were old mining towns. They had names like Copper, Leadville, Rifle, Silt.
elk sign
I snapped a picture of the elk warning sign just because I liked the image, later I came to realize how much they meant business.
vail
Vail, Colorado. Skiing, hotels, more skiing, and a definite architectural style that has to be kept my law.
aspens
I was as close to Aspen, Colorado as the interstate would go, and of course there were a dominance of Aspen.
mustang
I saw many wild Mustangs. Well at least one gold one, and some newer ones on the road. i did see a Bighorn Sheep deciding whether or not to go into the middle of the highway though.
redrocks
Quickly after the continental divide the snow was heavy and then let off. This is the aft side of the mountain.
greensky
And right across was the snowy side. Both sides of the highway were like this most of the way.
brush
The scenery began to look more and more like what I will be seeing more of next.
tunnel
The Glenwood Canyon started with a big tunnel.
canyon
canyon trees
It was amazing to drive through, what a change compared to the mountain peaks. A shame that the way most get to see it is on the road, and off the road you'd be seeing the highway.
bare
Out of the canyon there were more and more trailer parks, motor home parks and western stereotypes like big honkin trucks, abandoned mines, and railroads. This is one side of the road.
snowyside
And this is the other. What a dramatic difference.
truck
This truck was badass. The only thing it was missing was a steer skull and horns on the chrome flame grill. I was surprised that this was the first I had seen. Maybe I'll see more like it.
sunset
I was chasing the sun trying to get to grand Junction, Colorado before the sun completely set, and It was a good thing I came to realize later with the wildlife.
sunset mesa
I saw a humongous dead bear in the side of the road. I don't know what the car ended up looking like, but the bear was ruined. If i didn't see what was left of the skull I couldn't begin to tel what it was.
police and ambulance
Then from 75mph I had to slow because there was a police car in the shoulder, slowing down AND getting over is a nice thing to and sometimes the law. Right after this one cop I saw another two police cars and an ambulance by the onramp, but no accident from what I could tell. THEN. Then I sped up as I was passed it, in the shoulder was a car, and the van in front of me got back into the right lane. I usually get into the left lane when a car is in the shoulder, cop or not. But I followed the van passed the car, and as soon as I got noticed the car I noticed the deer in the road. I freaked out and maneuvered by all the broken glass, bumper, and rear view mirror in my lane. I am so glad I instinctively followed the van for whatever reason as I would have hit the deer. Now there was a car behind my in the lane that the deer was in. I did not see it until it was in headlight view not 10 feet in front of my car. This car did not see it until he had RAMPED it.
omg
I didn't beleive what I saw. The headlights went straight up, then straight down, and I realized what happened. The car coasted for a bit then pulled off to the shoulder, and I went on my way freaked the hell out. Needless to say I didn't ever get up to the speed limit until I reached the city.
car trouble
I had been driving all day long, and my car didn't ike the thin air. Everytime a steep incline happened, my car, while in cruise control, revved so much just to make it. When I got into the city, being that I slowed down and was stopped at red lights, my car began to overheat and make a horrible noise. I pulled over and let up the hood to give the girl a break.
thanksgiving
I haven't been eating very much since my stomach has shrunk quite a bit from being lovesick and not having a wonderful person to make meals for me. Well the ONLY food establishment open was China Grill and Buffet. I had turkey, and was pleased that I didn't have to eat the club crackers, marshmallows, and citrus blast that were in my car for a meal.
open
Pink blinds, teal trim, neon lights. Yes please.
motel
I've been posting pictures of myself so that you could see that I am alive and getting ever so gross. Well you could tell from today's picture that I was in need of a shower. Not to mention I just wanted to chill after being freaked out. A nice hot shower was a nice end to a great day.
I hope your Thanksgiving went well. What I lacked in great food I made up for in tremendous scenery. So bleh.

1 comment: